Its been a while since I got around to uploading a recipe. Life has been so wonderfully busy. I am finally realizing the importance of a lot of things I didn’t care for before. I guess this is how it feels to be an adult. I started eating healthier and working out as well. I have been doing the paleo diet for a few months and it was getting boring to eat grilled chicken breast every day. So I wanted to come up with something different and put my cast iron skillet to good use. Here is a sort of healthy recipe for people who want to have delicious and good food.
- 3 Medium Chicken Thighs
- Bone-in Skin on 2 Chicken Wings
- Butter- 2 tbs
- Olive Oil-1 tbs
- Salt, Pepper, Paprika to Taste
- 4 Medium Russet Potatoes (Peeled and Diced into 1-Inch Cubes)
- Baby Carrots-2 Cups (Halved Longways)
- Onion-1 Medium
- Cloves Garlic-Diced 5 minced
- Soy Sauce-1/2 Cup
- Honey-1/2 Cup
- Ketchup-1/4 Cup
- Chicken Stock-1 Cup
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high, add butter and olive oil.
- Pat dry chicken with paper towel and season with salt, pepper, and paprika to taste.
- Place chicken skin side down in the hot skillet, and cook just until brown. Flip chicken and brown on the other side. Do not cook all the way through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add baby carrots and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over high heat until they develop some color. About 8 minutes. *TIP: Only stir occasionally. This allows more color to develop. Color = FLAVOR! Once slightly golden but NOT cooked through, remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add onion, and more olive oil if needed. Saute onion until translucent. While onion is cooking, make the sauce. Whisk to combine coconut aminos (soy sauce substitute), honey, ketchup and chicken stock in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add garlic to onion and cook 1 minute. Add sauce and bring to a simmer to reduce slightly. About 5 minutes. Add carrots and potatoes to the skillet and toss in the sauce. Nestle in chicken pieces.
- Finish cooking in a 425°F oven for about 15-20 minutes OR until chicken reads an internal temperature of 165°F.