Loaded cauliflower casserole
This past week was one of the most special weeks ever. I got to spend a whole week with my grandpa Maylon. I’ve made him so many different things for breakfast lunch and dinner. He enjoyed it as much as I did. This was one of the many side dishes I made.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into pieces, about 5 cups
- Sour cream- 1 cup
- Shredded cheddar cheese, divided- 2 cups
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced, divided
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled, divided ( you can substitute it with turkey bacon)
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
- Fresh cracked pepper- 1/4 tsp
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Steam cauliflower until just tender.
- Place cauliflower, sour cream, half of the bacon, half of the scallions, half of the cheese in a bowl and salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Transfer to a casserole dish, sprinkle with other half of cheese.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until heated through. Top with remaining cheese and scallions and serve hot.
Given the right situation, a person can find out his/her strength. They can learn what they are capable of and what they can do without. I always thought that I couldn’t cook anywhere except my own kitchen, with my own things, and most importantly my own privacy. It has been a while now that I don’t have my own place where things are my own to call and organize. But now I know that cooking is something that I can do anywhere as long as I have ingredients to work with. I made these sweet potatoes while I was helping someone house-sit. I looked around and found these sweet potatoes and got inspired and put together a meal within an hour for 6 people. Sometimes, it really takes one little spark to ignite an idea and you just have to run with it. I’ve made these a few times since then, they will not be crispy but they are delicious.
- Butter (melted)- 3 Tbs
- Olive Oil- 3 Tbs
- Rosemary crushed- Dried 1/4 tsp, fresh 1/2 tsp
- Sweet Potatoes- 3 lbs, (3-4 medium, peeled and sliced thinly)
- Shallots- 1 (peeled and sliced thinly)
- Kosher salt- 1 dash
- Black pepper- 1 dash
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine melted butter, oil and crushed rosemary in a small bowl. Pour 2 tablespoons of butter-oil mixture in the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish. Arrange potato slices vertically in the dish. Add a sliver of shallot between every few slices of potato. Brush top with remaining butter-oil mixture. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cover dish with foil and roast for 1 hour, covered, until potatoes are tender (If your potato slices are thicker than shown, you may need to increase cooking time). Increase oven heat to 450 degrees F. Remove foil and roast another 10-15 minutes until tops of potatoes are browned and crisp.
Crispy Roasted Rosemary Sweet Potatoes
Kolhapuri Veggies Curry
This is actually one of my most festive dishes. Every time I make it, it is always devoured by everyone. I do omit three things when I follow this recipe. Watermelon seeds, hing, and kasuri methi. You can also omit whatever you like to better suit your taste and or availability of ingredients. This recipe involves an extensive amount of ingredients but it isn’t hard to prepare. And in the end, you will have something quite awesome.
- Cumin Seeds-1 sp
- Cloves- 6 to 8
- Black Cardamom- 4
- Bay Leaf
- Curry Leaves
- Onion Paste- 1 Cup
- Garlic- 1Tbs
- Ginger- 1 Tbs
- Green Chillies
- Hing (asafoetida)- 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric- 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili Powder- 2 Tbs
- Garam masala powder- 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder- 1 tsp
- Tomato Paste- 2 large tomatoes
- Green Peas- 1/4 cup
- Paste of Watermelon Seeds- 2 Tbs
- Paste of Cashew nuts- 2 Tbs
- Cauliflower- 8 florets
- Capsicum- 1 whole
- Paneer- 1/4 cup
- French Beans- 8 strings
- Kasuri Methi- 1/2 tsp
- Tadka of Red Chillies- 5 whole
- Corriander Leaves
- Oil for cooking
- Ghee- 2 Tbs
- Pour oil into a hot pan. Add all the whole spices, cumin, black cardamom and bay leaves. Sautee everything for a little bit.
- Add onions and wait for the onions to turn to a nice golden brown. Add garlic, ginger and green chilies.
- Add all the spices. Hing, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, tomato paste, with some water to make a gravy.
- Add green peas with the paste of cashew nut and watermelon seeds. Slow cook it on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Make sure you boil the vegetables separately so they are cooked. Also Fry the Paneer separately on all sides.
- Add all the vegetable and Paneer to the gravy. Bring it to a boil and simmer it for 20 minutes.
- Fry the red chilies in a separate pan with Ghee. Add it to the mixture, and sprinkle Kasuri Methi over the top.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves and you are done!
- Whole cauliflower – 1
- Eggs – 2
- Olive oil – 1/4 cups
- Breadcrumbs – 3/4 cups
- Paprika – 2 tsp
- Garlic powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Pepper – 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Chop cauliflower into small bite size pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 eggs and 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- Pour the mixture over the cauliflower and stir well. Make sure the cauliflower pieces are well coated.
- In a separate bowl, combine 3/4 cup of bread crumbs, 2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp of pepper.
- Take the cauliflower pieces and drop them into the dry mixture.
- Once the pieces are covered in the bread crumbs place them on a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes.