Usually, I make a lot of these during the winter time. I’ve been away for more than a year now due to various changes in life. I’ve made this for the first time last winter. Now we are almost approaching fall and I am getting ready to make a dozen batches of these pies again.
For the Stew:
- Whole chicken breasts tenderized – 3
- Coriander – 1 teaspoon
- Chili pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Olive oil –120ml, 1/2 cup
- Black pepper freshly ground – 1 teaspoon
- Chicken stock –1200ml, 5 cups
- Butter unsalted – 75g, 5 tablespoon
- Yellow onion chopped- 300g, 2 cups
- Garlic minced- 3 cloves
- All-purpose flour- 96g, 3/4 cup
- Heavy cream- 60ml, 1/4 cup
- Carrots medium-diced, blanched for two minutes – 100g, 2 cups or more
- Frozen peas- 300g, 2 cups
- Pearl onions frozen small- 200g, 1 1/2 cups
- Fresh parsley minced 25g, 1/2 cup
For the Pastry Top:
- All-purpose flour plus more for rolling- 150g, 1 1/4 cups
- Granulated sugar- 2 tbsp, plus 1 teaspoon
- Kosher salt- 1/4 teaspoon
- Butter, unsalted, frozen- 8 tablespoon, 113g
- Ice water- 3- 4 tablespoon
- Coat the chicken breast with olive oil, add on a pinch of salt, coriander, black pepper and a dash of chili pepper. Flip them over and repeat. Bake them in the oven for 375° F, until the center is 170°. Let the chicken rest for about 20 minutes after removing it from the oven.
- To make the pastry crust use a food processor. Put in flour, salt, butter diced. Pulse it and start adding in some iced water. The butter will start to become pea sized granules. Add in a squeeze of lemon juice then, pulse it a little and add in 2-3 Tbs of ice water. The dough should have little pieces of butter that is unmixed.
- flour your pastry mat or plastic wrap. Knead the dough briefly. Put it in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes before giving it a final roll.
- In a large pot, add in half a cup of olive oil and butter (5 Tbs). Let the butter melt, after which add the onions with 1/4 tsp of salt. Cook it down until it becomes translucent. Add in minced garlic.
- Make sure to peel, dice and blanch ( boil for 2 minutes) the carrots before adding it to the pot.
- Add in 3/4 of a cup of all purpose flour to the onion and garlic mixture. Cook it on medium low for about two minutes. Once it bubbles up and becomes foamy add in 4-5 cups of stock.
- Cube the chicken, and put it back in to the baking sheet to observe all the oil and flavor.
- Add the cream, frozen peas, carrots and the pearl onions to the now thickened sauce. Give it a good mix and add in the cubed chicken and minced parsley. Make sure everything is well incorporated.
- Make a lattice out of the pastry dough. Roll them in between the plastics. You can cook the ahead of time and keep them in an airtight container and assemble it right before serving. You can cool them in the fridge if they start to get too warm. Measure out the size of the bowl and ramekin to cut around the pastry. Carefully transfer your lattice on the baking sheet. Mix one egg and cream to make an egg wash, brush them over. Bake them for 400° F for about 15 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Fill up the serving dish all the way to the top. To warm them up again, pop them in the oven on 350° F for about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and top it off with the pastry lid and serve.