This was my first girls trip ever. I had to live up to my cooking expectations from my girls. The pressure was on, we have been going in circles trying to come up with a simple dish that didn’t involve too many ingredients. All of a sudden I spotted this beautiful big juicy mango and something in my head just seemed to feel right. We picked up the mango and everything else that was needed. Both of my friends enjoyed it so much that I had to put this up on the blog. Here is the recipe for both, Lisa and Shannon 🙂
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- Baby spinach – 8 cups
- Couscous – 1 cup
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Chopped fresh cilantro, divided – 1/2 cup
- Extra-virgin olive oil 1 Tbs
- Salt, divided – 3/4 tsp
- 1 large mango, peeled and diced
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- Mushrooms – 1 cup
- Chopped red onion – 1/4 cup
- 1/2 jalapeño chili, seeded and finely chopped
- Fresh lime juice – 1Tbs
I did not have a grill out there, so I cooked everything on the stove top. If you want to use your grill. Please follow the recipe below.
- Place 2 cups spinach and the mushrooms in a pan and cook well.
- On a saucepan combine couscous with 1/4 cup water. Cook it following the directions on the packet.
- Combine shrimp, 1/4 cup cilantro, oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in another pan, after that is cooked mix the shrimp with the cooked spinach and simmer them for 3-4 minutes.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup cilantro with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, mango, avocado, tomato, onion, jalapeño and lime juice in a bowl.
- Place the couscous on a serving dish, top it off with the mango salsa and the cooked spinach and shrimp on top.
Over time, I learned that people who can make the best out of any kind of situation are the people who are the happiest. I am not one of those people. But sometimes it may come as a surprise and I end up trying to make the best out of a bad situation unknowingly. This weekend was one of those days where none of my plans took place. I don’t get many weekends to waste, so I was very much upset. I have literally made the situation better by baking these biscuits. Delightfully delicious warm biscuits. I made my biscuits from scratch but you don’t have to. I have both the recipes here.
- All-purpose flour- 1 cup
- Baking powder- 1 1/2 tsp.
- Granulated sugar- 1 1/2 tsp.
- Salt- 1/8 tsp.
- Unsalted butter, cold 4 Tbs. or 1/4 cup
- Buttermilk, at room temperature- 1/2 cup
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Slice the cold butter into cubes and cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender until a crumbly dough forms. Add the buttermilk slowly and stir until the dough becomes moistened.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough gently a few times. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Dip the edges of a 2-1/2 inch circle cutter in flour, then use it to cut the dough into circles. Re-roll the remaining dough to cut additional biscuits.
- Place the biscuit dough circles in a cast iron skillet or on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until the edges are slightly golden, about 15 minutes. Place the biscuits on a wire rack to cool. Serve warm with the toppings of your choice.
- Mild sausage (or Hot, I use turkey sausage) – 1 pound
- All-purpose flour – 4 Tbs
- Milk – 2 cups of Cream cheese (cubed)- 6 oz
- Black pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes (optional)- 1 pinch
- Biscuits (Pillsbury Grands) – 18 5/16 oz
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 9×13-inch glass baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large non-stick skillet cook and crumble sausage over medium-high heat until browned. Drain any grease.
- In a medium saucepan heat milk over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Stir constantly until thickened. About 3 or 4 minutes. Add cubed cream cheese to milk and cook and stir until cream cheese is melted and all combined.
- Pour gravy into a prepared baking dish. Spread out evenly. Sprinkle cooked sausage evenly over gravy. Top with a little black pepper and pinch of red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Remove biscuits from can and place on top of sausage and gravy. ( I only fit 6 for looks. You can squeeze in the other 2 if you’re not worried about that. You can bake the other 2 alongside the casserole OR you can cut up all the biscuits into quarters and place the quarters all over the top.)
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until biscuits are golden-brown and cooked through. (You may need to cover the top with foil the last five minutes to prevent tops from burning.)
Chicken fry from my mom’s recipe
There are a few things that I know from just watching and being around my mom while she cooked. I never really tried to learn cooking from her. But when it came time to do it on my own. I relied on my memory for things that she would make and the rest sort of just happened. This is one of those recipes that I can do with my eyes closed. Her famous Asian inspired chicken fry. She only ever makes this with drumsticks and thighs but you can use whatever you want. You can adjust all these ingredients to your taste. My mom doesn’t have an exact measurement for all the ingredients. But just to give you an idea this is more or less what is required to make it.
P.S. I love you Ammu! Thank you for being you.
- Chicken Drumsticks – 12 pieces
- Flour – 2 cups
- Eggs – 2
- Soy Sauce – 1 cup
- Onions (Finely Chopped) – 2 cups
- Green Chillies – 1 Tbs
- Corn Starch – 1 Tbs
- Salt – 1 Tbs
- Vinegar – 1 Tbs
- Ginger Paste – 1 tsp
- Ground White Pepper – ½ tsp
- Oil for deep frying
- Make sure you wash the Chicken first and let it dry. Prick holes in it with a fork.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a huge bowl except for the oil.
- For best results, it is suggested to keep this mixture in a fridge overnight. The flavor develops increasingly if you let it marinate for a longer time. If you are in a hurry then you can marinate it for an hour and that should also be good enough.
- Take it out and fry it well in oil under medium-high heat. Make sure to thoroughly cook it well on all sides. 2-3 minutes on each side before turning it.
- Serve it while it’s hot.