I am back with some more sweetness to share with you all. I had a lot of oranges (mandarins) lying around the house. At first, I felt like making some kind of cake but then I came across this recipe. I am used to making chocolate (white and dark) brownies. This is the first time I attempted to make fruit flavoured brownies. Honestly, I don’t need anything to make me satisfied after this sweet little addition to my kitchen right now. Needless to say they were all gone in a jiffy.
- All purpose-flour – 1 ½ cup
- Sugar – 2 cups
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Butter (Softened) – 1 cup or 2 sticks
- Eggs – 4
- Orange extract ( pure)- 2 tsps
- Grated Orange -1 tsp
For the glaze
- Confectioners’ sugar – 1 cup
- Orange juice – 2 tbsps
- Grated Orange – 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- Grease well, a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, and salt. Add butter, eggs, orange extract and orange zest, and beat with a handheld electric mixer until well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until light golden brown and set. Remove from oven and pierce entire top of cake with a fork.
To make the glaze:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, stirring with whisk until smooth.
- Pour glaze over warm cake. Cool cake and cut into squares.
I have always been very fond of peaches .. Recently after my nutella craze. I started to experiment with peaches. I came across another one of those easy lazy recipes. It only requires 5 ingredients and you are good to go. One of those panic attack recipes as I like to call them. Just in case you have guests showing up and don’t know what to do .. whip these up .. 🙂 Ingredients : Peaches, Cinnamon, butter, ice-cream (vanilla or I used butter pecan) and brown sugar.
- peaches (fresh, cut in half & pit removed, I like to blanch mine first to remove the skin, personal preference)
- brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut your peaches in half, & remove the pit. Place them cut side up in a baking dish & stuff the middles with brown sugar. Sprinkle on a little cinnamon. Place a slice of butter on each peach half. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Serve in a bowl, making sure you drizzle all that yummyness at the bottom of your pan on top. Top with a scoop of ice cream. I use butter pecan as that’s what MawMaw always used.
Appetizers are really my favorite thing to make. It demands so much attention to details and meticulous arrangements of assorted ingredients to come up with decorative little morsels. It gives me so much joy to actually design food and in a way dress it up to sit on my dishes like super seductive models ready to be photographed. I have been playing around with the new found ingredient “ kataifi “, it is a style of filo pastry that resemble spaghetti. Commonly found in Greek and Mediterranean desserts. This time I have done two dishes with one ingredient. Scallops wrapped in Kataifi and Kaitaifi prawns with honey chili dipping sauce.
Scallops wrapped in Kataifi Recipe
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 4 sea scallops (extra large)
- 1/4 lb filo (kataifi)
- 4 tbsps butter (melted)
- 1 tomatoes (diced)
- 1/4 cup scallions (diced)
- 1/4 cup dill (chopped)
- 1 shallots (medium, sliced)
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 lb butter (cut into small bits, thoroughly chilled)
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, simmer the vinegar until syrupy, about 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 450°F. Season the scallops with salt and pepper. Wrap each scallop in some of the kataifi filo. Arrange the scallops on a baking sheet and drizzle with the melted butter.
- Make the butter sauce: In a small saucepan, combine the shallot, thyme, and wine. Simmer until completely reduced and there is no liquid remaining. Over low heat and whisking constantly, add the butter, a few pieces at a time. Allow the butter to become creamy before adding the next few pieces. Do not boil or the butter will melt and the sauce will become oily. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep the sauce warm.
- Bake the scallops until just done, about 15 minutes.
- To serve, cut each wrapped scallop in half and place in the center of the plate. Spoon the butter sauce over the scallops. Drizzle with some of the reduced balsamic vinegar (save the remaining balsamic syrup for another use). Sprinkle the tomatoes, scallions and dill around the scallop.
Katifi Prawns Recipe
- 850g (about 18) large green prawns
- 100g Antoniou Kataifi pastry
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup mild chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
1. Preheat oven to 220°C. Line 2 oven trays with non-stick baking paper.
2. Peel and devein prawns, leaving tails intact. Place pastry in a medium size bowl and loosen until strands are separated, light and fluffy. Combine oils and add to pastry; mix with fingers until pastry is evenly coated with oil. Place 1 tablespoon of pastry on a board and gently stretch to form a 15cm long strip. Hold a prawn by the tail and dip into egg; place at one end of the strip and roll pastry around prawn. Place on prepared tray. Continue with remaining prawns. Bake 12 minutes or until lightly golden. Serve with honey chilli dipping sauce.
3. To make sauce: combine all ingredients.
Cook’s Tip: No fuss entrée for 6 or serve as a savoury with drinks. Potato wedges and a salad transform this dish into a main meal for 4.
I always look for easy breakfast recipes, something that I wouldn’t have to work too hard for after waking up. And if I can do it the night before.. even better :D. This didn’t really take much time to prepare at all. Just let it marinate in the egg mixture overnight, take it out of the freezer and bake it till it smells all savory and delicious. Ingredients: Bread rolls, Eggs, Milk, butter, Cream cheese, Cheddar cheese, Dry mustard, Salt, Cayenne pepper and Chives.
For recipe visit : http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/05/sleepin-in-omlette/
I can never get tired of baked goods .. they make the house smell good, they make me feel warm and remind me of memories from my childhood (I WISH .. lol ). My mom was never big on baking. But since I partook a great interest in cooking … I plan on making it a part of our lives from now on. This is a new recipe I wanted to try Nutella, banana croissants .. consist of just 4 ingredients : Nutella, banana, Pillsbury frozen croissant dough and icing sugar.
For Recipe Visit: http://www.culinaryhill.com/4-ingredient-nutella-banana-croissants/